After graduating from UCD in the autumn of 1956 Matt went to work in Co. Waterford as an Agricultural Instructor based in Dungarvan. After two years in Waterford Matt joined the Dept. of Agriculture as a regional livestock inspector. Over the next six years he was based in Cavan and Carlow. Matt’s principal role in this job was to supervise and implement the various livestock improvement schemes operated by the Department. Visual appraisal was the principal yardstick for ‘improvement’ with little emphasis on genetics.
In 1965 Matt joined the newly established specialist advisory service in the Dept. of Agriculture. His area of work was beef production and more specifically to improve the application and appreciation of research findings within the county advisory services.
In the 1960’s Matt joined the IGA which he regards as having played a major role in the transfer of good farming practices and relevant research throughout Irish farming. Matt was president of the IGA in 1979/80.
Since retiring in 1998 Matt kept a keen interest in farming matters.Back to Listing